- What Type of Click-Throughs Can I Set? Can I Set Multiple Click-Throughs?
- Setting a Background Click-Through
- Setting an Element Click-Through
- Creating a Click-to-Call option
- Opening a Click-Through URL in the Same Window
A click-through URL is the location that the viewer is redirected to when they click on a certain part of the design. There are two main types of click-through URLs: Background URLs and Element URLs. Background URLs make it so that the entirety of the design can be clicked on to redirect the viewer. Element URLs make it so that only a certain element can be clicked on to redirect the viewer. Element URLs are subject to the layering properties of Flexitive, so make sure to review Layering and the Layers Panel for more information.
What type of click-throughs can I set? Can I set multiple click-throughs?
Flexitive supports multiple click-through URLs. You can set a background click-through and an element click-through for each element. A background click-through affects the entire design, and sits below any click-throughs you add to an element.
For example, in this Tissot design, tissotwatches.com has been set to the background click-through, and the Powered By Solar Image has been set to a product's URL. When Powered by Solar is clicked it will go to the product's URL, and when any other part of the ad is clicked, it will go to tissotwatches.com.
Setting a Background Click-through
- First, select the Canvas in the Layers Panel, then tap the Link button. You can also click off of the canvas in order to de-select any elements on your canvas that you have selected. This will automatically select the canvas for your design.
- In the modal that pops up, enter your Click-through URL. By default, the link will open in a new tab.
Setting an Element Click-through
In addition to setting a Background Click-Through URL, you can also add a Click-Through property to any element. In order to do this, follow these steps:
- Select the element you would like to apply the Click-Through to, then tap the Link button
- In the modal that pops up, enter your Click-through URL. For element click-throughs, you can also Enter a click tracker name, which allows you to give the URL you are entering a "name" in the exported code. This is especially useful if you want your Media agency to be able to change the click-through URLs after you've sent them the ZIP export. This name is usually optional, but in some cases you will need to set it before exporting.If you don't have the click-through URL,you can put any placeholder URL you want in the URL box and follow the steps outlined above for adding in your click tracker. You need a placeholder URL to ensure that the element shows up in your ad-server as being able to receive a click-through URL.
- Decide where you want the clicked URL to open up. Just below the Enter click tracker name box, you will see a check box for Open URL in the same window. This check box determines when the element is clicked whether the URL will replace the current page (when the box is checked) or if the URL will open in a new tab in the browser (when the box isn't checked)
When setting your click-through URL, it is possible to set an object as a Click-to-Call button for mobile devices.
To set up a Click-to-Call option in your design, all you need to do is set the click through for an element or background as tel:1-XXX-XXX-XXXX using your telephone number.
Click-to-Call is only possible on Mobile devices, and will not function on desktops or tablets.
Opening a Click-Through URL in the Same Window
When setting a click-through URL for your design, you will be given the option to have the click-through open in the same window.
This option is available for any click-through URL that you set, but there are a few limitations to the option. In this article, we will explain what you need to be aware of when setting your click-through URL to open in the same window.
For every site, it is possible to set different 'X-Frame-Options'. X-Frame-Options control whether or not a website can be opened inside of a frame, iframe or object. If a site using the settings 'X-Frame-Options: DENY' or 'X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN', the URL will be blocked from opening in the iframe that the design is served in. An example of a site using an X-Frame-Option setting is google.com.
If the site you would like to use as a click-through URL is set up with an X-Frame-Option, we recommend that you do not set the Click-Through URL to open in the same window.
Interactions Based on How Design is Viewed
When you set the click-through URL for a design to open in the same window, the click-through URL will function differently depending on where the design is being displayed.
If you display a Flexitive design with a click-through URL set to open in the same window in the Flexitive preview page, tapping the design will open the Click-Through URL inside of the design's frame, but you will not be able to scroll through the design.
If you display a Flexitive design with a click-through URL set to open in the same window by opening a ZIP export, tapping the design will open the Click-Through URL in the same window, but not contained to the iframe of the design.
If you display a Flexitive design with a click-through URL set to open in the same window using a Tag export, tapping the design will open the Click-Through URL in the same window and contained within the iframe of the design. You will also be able to scroll through the site after clicking through.